Friday, January 4, 2013

Surgeries and The Plague

Sickness swept through our house like a plague these last few months.  It started off with Justin having to have an emergency appendectemy.  One Sunday night in early November Justin wakes up with bad stomach cramps.  He thought maybe it was just gas and tried to go back to sleep, but said it was super painful.  The next day it was still hurting really bad so he worked from home.  Then he started saying that his right side was hurting really bad.  He was also really nauseous, but he thought it was just from the pain.  I mentioned to him that maybe he should google ruptured appendix for side effects.  So he did and then started getting nervous b/c he had all the symptoms.  Neither of us have a regular general physician so he decided to go to the urgent care to get tested.  His test actually came back negative, but the doctor still thought everything was pointing to his appendix so he sent him over to the hospital to have a CT scan.  He arrived at the hospital around 5:00 on Monday and the did the scan and eventually told him that it was in fact his appendix and they would have to schedule surgery that night.  Meanwhile I am at home waiting with the kids for the news.  Unfortunately this all happened during the Southern Christmas show that my mom was working at so she was not able to help us out during it all.  The actual surgery wasn't even scheduled until like 10:00 so my mom was able to come over to stay with the kids while I went up there to see Justin.  Being at the hospital past normal closing time is HORRIBLE.  There are no workers and they just sat me in a waiting room for hours.  They took my phone number and told me they'd call me when I could come back.  Well unfortunately I go to use the bathroom with my phone in my pocket and as I bend over to flush it falls out of my jacket into the toilet as it is already flushing and goes down the drain!  Completely gone!  So at 1:30AM I am still waiting and there is NOONE around to ask any questions.  I finally go wondering around and find a security guard and tell him my situation.  He is very nice and takes about 10 minutes to try and locate Justin's nurse.  I finally get to go back and see him.  The surgery went smoothly except for the appendix had shifted behind his colon or something like that and they had to remove a tiny portion of it to get to the appendix.  There was also some infection they had to drain out.  Justin was pretty out of it after the surgery so I only spent about 10 minutes with him before I left to go relieve my mom so she could go home and get some sleep since it was like 2:00AM!  The next day I didn't have anyone to watch the kids so I had to take them with me to go visit Justin for a little while.  Unfortuantly they (well Kaitlyn) was wild in the hospital and they were just too rambunctious being stuck in a tiny room for more than an hour or so, so Justin was more than ready for us to just leave :)  They were supposed to discharge him around dinner time but as hospitals go, it took forever.  Justin finally calls to let me know it was going to be around 10:00pm.  I arranged for one of our friend's from church's husband to just come sit at our house since the kids were sleeping and I could go get Justin.  After we finally get home the recovery starts.

The first week Justin was pretty much useless.  The medicine they gave him for pain knocked him out and all he really did was sleep.  It made him nauseous as well, so eventually I was like would you rather be sick or in pain?  So he eventually started taking tylenol to help with the pain and things got much better!  So to top things off, Me and the kids had all came down with bad colds right about the time Justin got out of the hospital.  Add in the fact that I was pregnant and dealing with the stress of  having to do everything, I was about to have a breakdown most every day! :)  For the first 2 weeks, Justin was not allowed to lift anything over 10 lbs.  So that was anything Brayden related.  I was so happy when those 2 weeks were up.  It took about a good month for him to be back to normal though to where the insicions didn't really bother him at all.

Unfortunately the sickness just kept on coming.  The kids and I literally had cold after cold for weeks!  Then one week Brayden comes down with Croup.  So the following Sunday I take Kaitlyn to church alone and go in to nursery to check on her and she is just sitting on one of the worker's laps crying.  She comes over and says she's sick and wants to go home.  I can tell she really is sick so we leave.  The next day Brayden starts getting sicker as well.  Croup seems better, but he has Kaitlyn's new cold.  Then Tuesday it hits me and I realize it is NOT a cold, but the flu!  It was horrible!  Plus since Justin had taken so much time off for his surgery he didn't have any days to spare to take care of us.  I think he liked escaping the flu infested house anyway.  Being pregnant with the flu is NO FUN.  I couldn't take any medicines strong enough to help and then also trying to take care of two sick kids was even worse.  Luckily Justin never caught it!  He slept on our futon for about a week to escape me :)

The flu lasted for about 2 weeks in our house and I had numerous melt-downs haha!  I prayed that when it was over I could just be healthy until the end of the year at least!  I have also started taking a daily Vitamin C supplement along with my prenatal vitamin to try and help boost my immune system.  It is just so hard with kids!  One gets sick, they spread it to each other immediately and then without fail I always catch it.  I guess it will get even worse in the next few years!  I just hope the flu doesn't return for a while b/c that was horrible.  So here we are now at the beginning of January and I got my wish.  We were healthy for about 2 weeks or so.  And then about 2 days ago Brayden got sick and now Kaitlyn is sick.  Justin and I leave for a cruise in 2 days so with my horrid immune system I am soooo afraid of spending the week sick!  I just want to enjoy my babymoon!  Ok enough of this extremely long depressing post.  Let's just say Winter 2012 was the horrible!

No comments:

Post a Comment