Sunday, September 2, 2012

Beach and Amish Country

I have been SO behind in my posting!  I have a lot to catch up on.  We have had quite a few vacations already.  Our first was just me and the kids with all of my family to Myrtle Beach.  We went over Fourth of July week.  It was fun, but it is SO exhuasting going on vacations without Justin.  Even though I have other family there, I am still the main one that has to do everything.  And there is just so much extra stuff involved that makes taking care of small children on vacation harder.  So I am not sure how many more vacations I am willing to go on alone!  Kaitlyn had blast though.  Brayden didn't really care.  He hates being hot and was a mess in the sand b/c he literally wanted to eat it nonstop!  So I wasn't a fan of being down there with him.  Kaitlyn on the other hand got over her fear of water and was swimming wonderfully!  She would jump in and swim by herself (with her floaty on of course)  Unfortuantly I can't find any pictures from my trip!  But not to worry, I have TONS from our next vacation.  In early August we went up to Amish Country Pennsylvania.  I had low expectations for the trip, but it was actually pretty entertaining.  There is so much to do up there.  It is a great place for kids.  Kaitlyn LOVED seeing all the farm animals.  I was suprised at how integrated the Amish are into normal society.  We stayed in an old farm house on a working farm.  It was really nice.  We went to a lot of farms, rode in some horse and buggies, and went and ate dinner at a real Amish family's home.  It was really good.  Although I can definitely say I have ZERO desire to be Amish.  Especially being a woman.  I feel like they were slaves.  They worked nonstop all day.  The girls were the ones cooking our dinner and serving us.  Definitely not my cup of tea! haha!  I prefer having a husband who helps out with cooking and cleaning!  The Amish women are even expected to do all of the yard work! One thing I really enjoyed from our trip was all of the HUGE Smorgasboard buffets.  They were everywhere and I mean HUGE.  One of the ones we went to was like 5x the size of a Golden Corral.  I was in Heaven!  I love me a good buffet.  We ate very well while we were up there!  Here are a few pictures from our trip.

An Amish man out working on the farm
 
Kaitlyn jumping at Cherry Crest Farms, running away when the Strausburg Train rode by
The fam sitting in an Amish Buggy.  These things sell for around $6500-9500...not including your horse!  Crazy!

 Seeing how strong we are.  Justin actually hit the tallest bell.  I was impressed!

 
Hershey's Chocolate World
 
One room Schoolhouse
 
 Covered Bridge
 
 Amish women's dresses.  They pin their dresses with straight pins!
Our House we stayed in
Riding the Strausburg Railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment