Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Soxy

I have been an emotional wreck this last week or so.  I don't think I ever mentioned on this blog before, but about 4 months ago or so we gave our cat Layla away to a nice young girl who was looking for a companion.  Layla had been peeing outside the litter box and I don't think was very happy in our home anyway.  She was a timid cat and hated Kaitlyn and never even really came around me.  I figured she would be better off with someone without kids.  So that left us with my sweet Soxy.  I have had Soxy for almost 5 years and in that time she had never had an accident.  Then all of the sudden in the last few weeks she has been consistently going on our furniture.  It started out as only poop.  Which was of course annoying, but easy enough to clean up.  I talked to our friend who is a vet and he told me it definitely sounded behavioral and gave a me a few suggestions to try.  He said she was mad about something and cats often do this to express themselves.  Well, then one day she decided to pee on the couch.  As most of you may know, cat pee is something not easily cleaned.  They say the odor is equivalent to a skunk and almost nothing can remove the smell.  We have doused it with cleaners and chemicals and nothing is working.  Justin who is not a cat person was very annoyed and did not want to put up with this.  So I gave in and put an ad on Craigslist for a good home being honest about why we were giving her up.  A lady contacted me and I met her with Soxy and said goodbye.  I cried the entire rest of the day and all night long.  I became a crazy person and called the lady saying I made a huge mistake and wanted her back :)  So they returned her and I tried working with her a little more.  She was fine for about a week being out during the day and then I would lock her up at night so she didn't get into any trouble.  Unfortunately she still had another accident on the carpet.  I was so upset but still wanted to give her another chance.  Then this past Sunday was the last straw.  I was sitting on the floor playing with Kaitlyn and she squatted right in front of me and peed on the furniture again!  Later I went upstairs and came back down and she had pooped on our different couch!  And then later on she peed again right in front of Justin!  I was devastated.  Not only was I annoyed that she is ruining all my furniture, but I knew I could not keep her like this.  She has been so mad at us and is showing herself.  I don't know if it was losing Layla or if she is mad about Brayden.  B/c one of the accidents was right outside his room.  Anyway, I reposted an ad and finally ended up giving her to two gay guys.  They seemed nice enough and they had two other cats they rescued.  I thought maybe she would actually enjoy life with another cat again.  Then I became crazy person again today.  Emailing them 3 different times saying I am not sure if I made the right decision and I might need to find her another home.  I have stalked them on Facebook trying to find out more about them.  So there you have it.  I am a crazy, stalking, emotional wreck.  I am so sad I had to give away my sweet Soxy.  I really loved that cat, but unfortunately cat pee is something Justin most definitely was not going to deal with.  And I can't say that I blame him.  As I sit here on our couch typing this I can still smell it seeping into my nose.  Guess we are going to be couch shopping come Memorial day.  We are now a catless family.  We are definitely not dog people and I am too afraid to get another cat.  Plus I gave everything away with Soxy.  I just can't bear the thought of getting attached to another one and something horrible happening.  So I guess I just have to hope she will adjust well to her new home and that they will treat her well.  Here is one last picture Justin took of Kaitlyn and Soxy before she left us :(

No comments:

Post a Comment